TV Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TV Talk

TV show discussion. Current and older shows. Also movies.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Westworld Season 1 General Discussion

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2016 6:49 am

Ah yes, I remember seeing a program about making skin grafts in a similar vein to this video.  It avoids rejection by the host.  It would be a very good explanation if they could incorporate it in to the series a part of the storyline.
Of course skin-grafts are not the same as transplants, which incorporate joining veins and nerves.

As far as these android hosts are concerned, I suggest that a few rubber pipes are lain at strategic parts of their bodies, and as such, when they are shot, the blood pours out under pressure from a small inflated bladder.

Anyway, on to other things... (I've never had or seen how a 3d printer works, but it seems that you're definitely correct.

Ep.2 beginning...
Bernard, the Afr/Amer guy with beard is still planting thoughts in to Dolores mind (or what he might consider a routine for variation outside her normal programming).
Did he place the hand-gun in her bedroom drawer? I think he did because it is a prompt to jog her archived (not to be accessed) memory. She momentarily sees herself being dragged off by the Cowboy in black.  What is Bernard's end game - does he want the androids to rebel? Does have have a grudge against somebody in authority?
Also, is he expecting them to side with him?
I can't see much fun for the ladies so far.  Tell a lie, in this episode, the actress: Bojana Novakovic, plays Marti, is a client looking for a bit of fun shooting at cowboys with her rifle.  She is accompanied by a male host gunslinger, (in my avatar picture to the left).  So perhaps she has her own assignations? She's only in this episode.
Maeve has a flashback seeing him in a room full of disabled androids.

I wonder if in the next scene, with Dolores and Teddy Flood, (in the picture below), there will eventually be a real loving relationship?

Last edited by KevinInEngland on Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2016 5:13 pm

http://www.ew.com wrote:

Westworld postmortem: Producers discuss episode 4

by James Hibberd@JamesHibberd
Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Westworld42
(John P. Johnson/HBO)
Posted October 23 2016 — 9:58 PM EDT

Westworld showrunners answer our burning questions about the fourth episode of the season, “Dissonance Theory.” Below Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy lend some insight into the Man in Black’s return, the refreshing sarcasm of Elsie Hughes, and Dr. Ford and Theresa Cullen’s showdown…

Entertainment Weekly: Dolores has opened every episode so far. Here she’s chatting with Bernard and she mentions the bandits killed her parents and she ran… but she opens her eyes and she’s still with William and Logan. So its unclear when this scene took place. Is this a flashback? Or is she referring specifically to what just happened at the end of episode 3?
Jonathan Nolan: I think that’s up to the viewer to decide.
Which leads into another question, and this might be another that you might not be willing to get into, but: Should we not assume that everything seeing is taking place at the same time…?
Nolan: I think you want to assume as little as possible when watching this show. 
Lisa Joy: As usual, it’s exciting to talk to you and also difficult.
[The showrunners put me on hold and have a sidebar conference about this question, then come back].
Nolan: Part of the fun is people speculating about what they’re are seeing. There’s some amazing speculation out there. There are some theories that are so elaborate and beautiful that you wish you thought of them yourself. I think we want to burden the audience as little as possible with expectations of what we think the show is. I’m a big believer in this ever since we went to the Venice Film Festival with Memento. My brother gave an interview about what he thought the film meant but stressed it was ambiguous. And afterward we talked about it and I felt from then on that the best thing to do is get out of the way of the audience and let them play with it. And there are some things in Westworld that are intentionally ambiguous. 
The MiB returned this week and we got this nice peak into his backstory when a guest annoys him by breaking character to praise his foundation for saving his sister. This nicely complicates our feelings toward this guy, that he might be a total White Hat in real life, right? 
Joy: That’s exactly right and our sympathies are so aligned with the hosts it’s easy to think of the Man in Black as absolute black evil with a wry smile. For him, he’s looking at this as just a game and he’s an expert-level gamer. Just like a life-saving doctor can play Grand Theft Auto really violently doesn’t mean he can’t be a wonderful doctor and parent outside that world. So that’s what we’re approaching here, is a shift in perspective that might allow us to imagine a different side of his character that he shows the outside world.
One thing was confusing, though: The MiB went from plotting the jail break-in to being in a stagecoach in irons — was a scene cut in between? 
Nolan: No. We wanted to move the story forward so you’re asking yourself how he wound up in there, but then they arrive at the prison and the deputy fills in the details — they just walked out and tried to steal a couple horses right in front of him. As an expert gamer, the Man in Black knows how to play this, he knows how to get inside the prison. We just wanted to get into the fun of it. 
The hosts seem to blank out whenever they’re confronted by a statement like “she’s just a robot” — like Dolores does during William and Logan’s argument. Though it hasn’t been explicitly stated, I assume they’re programmed to ignore such any reality busting statements that humans make and that’s why they don’t react?
Joy: That’s exactly right. 
Last week we talked about Stubbs. This week, Elsie (Shannon Woodward) gets off a couple great lines, she’s starting to become perhaps the the most relatable backstage character. 
Joy: I love Elsie. The hosts are living this myopic life so they don’t question the nature of their reality. Then you have people like Bernard who’s so obsessed with his work that he has his own myopia. But Elsie is a bit of a pragmatist. She’s brilliant at coding like Bernard, but also wide-eyed and aware enough to call bullshit on stuff, which is something not many in the park do as there’s such a hierarchy. She has faith in her intelligence and judgement and she’s not afraid to go against the grain in pursuit of the truth. 
Nolan: She’s the most fun character because she look at this place and can be like, “What the f— is wrong with you guys? Why don’t you see what’s right in front of your face?” Shannon is also a lovely actor and great collaborator. 
So I could probably spend this entire conversation asking about the scene between Dr. Ford and Cullen, where he threatens her to stay out of his way. What would you like to share with us about making that scene?
Nolan: This episode was directed by Vincenzo Natali and we were also excited about this moment where you were reminded about the sheer power that Ford can command as the creator of this place. You can imagine Walt Disney having a lunch at Ariel’s Grotto in the middle of Disneyland and commanding all the roller coasters to stop all at once. There’s an extraordinary power there. And with Anthony Hopkins, he’s such a fascinating actor to watch, you don’t quite ever know where you stand with this guy. In the pilot, Ford felt a bit like the Lion in Winter, that he might be stepping back. Here, we’re reminded that you underestimate this guy at your peril. He has his own designs of what he wants this place to be. You’re also reminded he has an extremely controlling relationship with the hosts. Like the moment when he cuts a host’s face open and you realize why they’re all stripped bare in cold storage, that it’s a very practical measure on his part to make sure nobody makes Arnold’s mistake again, that treating these hosts as machines is vital to ensure that the techs who work with them don’t mistake them for people. You’re reminded that Ford is not a friend to the hosts. He’s a father figure and that can go a number of different ways. 
Dr. Ford halts all the hosts with a wag of his finger, just like he did with the snake. But the snake could see him while all the hosts in the field working below could not. Is there any insight that you care to lend on how that works? 
Nolan: He describes himself as a magician. His mechanisms of control are subtle. We thought a little bit of a conductor with an orchestra, where the entire orchestra at any moment is so hyper aware of what the conductor is doing that the tiniest gesture can ripple through the orchestra — not just those who are actively watching, but it all becomes one large organism. He’s had 30-plus years to gain his level of control. I’ve worked with some great directors and seen the way they control a set is very subtle — it’s very quick, and it’s total. Not to get too bogged down on the way the park is built, but there’s a network that allows data to carry through the hosts that allows for instantaneous small updates. For more significant updates they need to be brought down below.  
Dr. Ford’s new narrative seems to involve an enormous new construction space, that odd church steeple that we saw, and Teddy’s Civl War backstory. Are there any other hints we should be paying attention to?
Nolan: You have older storylines that Ford has literally paved over, and it’s a question how they connect to the new one he’s building now. 
Maeve is really starting to figure things out, at this point she’s apparently the host who’s most ahead of the curve. 
Nolan: There’s a tip of the hat there to the short story I wrote that Chris turned into his screenplay for Memento. The short story itself was focused on the asylum portion of the protagonist’s storyline. The film references that in flashback. The story was most interested in how would you even get going if you’re not allowed to remember anything. How would you create a primitive memory? We’ve established in Analysis and Diagnostic Mode that the hosts have all the answers they need, they’re just not allowed to access that. With Maeve, she’s looking outward and trying to find the larger context of this world, and Dolores is looking inward and trying find the meaning of her own story. 
Random question: Is Logan’s name inspired by another ’70s sci-fi cult favorite, Logan’s Run?
Nolan: There’s potentially a tip of the hat there. It’s a cool movie. But I wouldn’t read too much into it.
I'm really hoping they will get in Ford's way, because I'm curious, what he'd do then. I mean, would he really risk his project, Westworld, his playground for playing God?
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2016 12:35 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com wrote:

Westworld: Jimmi Simpson Weighs In on Man in Black Theories

October 23, 2016  7:01pm PT by  Josh Wigler
 Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Chris_browning_as_holden_ben_barnes_as_logan_and_jimmi_simpson_as_willi...-h_2016
Courtesy of HBO

"I wish I could say how wrong or right you are, but you guys have to wait just like we did," Simpson tells THR about the Man in Black fan theory.

[Warning: This story contains spoilers from the fourth episode of Westworld.]
The artist occasionally known as Liam McPoyle is a long way from Philadelphia.
Jimmi Simpson, who regularly grosses out the gang (and viewers) on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia as part of the McPoyle family, faces different gangs and families altogether on HBO's Westworld. On the HBO drama, Simpson plays William, a young man visiting the high-tech wild west park for the very first time, alongside his colleague and soon-to-be brother-in-law Logan (Ben Barnes). Unlike William, Logan is a Westworld veteran, with zero reservations about giving into the park's hedonistic universe. For his part, William has viewed Westworld through a cynical lens… at least until meeting Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood), the oldest host in the park.
The fourth episode of the series, called "Dissonance Theory," saw William traveling alongside and bonding with Dolores. Even knowing that she's not human, William couldn't help but be drawn to the host's innocence. As Simpson describes it: "This is the first kind of soft and passive element of Westworld, and it draws his attention."
But will it always be the softer sides of Westworld that catch William's eye, or will he become more immersed in the expansive reality's darker corners? Some fans believe that William is actually a younger version of Ed Harris' enigmatic Man in Black, with the William story playing out several years earlier than the rest of the Westworld storylines.
Understandably, Simpson is tight-lipped on the subject when it comes up. ("I wish I could say how wrong or right you are," he tells The Hollywood Reporter, "but you guys have to wait just like we did.") He's more forthcoming about the broad view of William's backstory, his views on the park, his attraction to Dolores, his take on Logan and, most importantly, how the McPoyle family would handle a trip to Westworld. 

William and Logan are introduced in the second episode, and at least on the surface, they come across as the show's version of Richard Benjamin and James Brolin's characters from the original movie. Was that a starting point for you?
No, it wasn't. I hadn't seen the movie since I was very little. But I remember loving the premise and loving Yul Brynner and certainly Richard Benjamin. I didn't see it [again] until halfway through filming. Clearly it's a seedling, along with malfunctioning A.I., that [showrunners Jonathan "Jonah" Nolan and Lisa Joy] took from the original. But like the A.I. malfunctioning, that's kind of where it ends. Those ideas, yes, but the specifics of the characters are different, and the trajectories of the characters are very different.
How would you describe William, both in a general sense, and also his view of the park?
William comes from very little means. He's worked very hard to get this budding position at a company. He's uncomfortable with complete exercise of his id, or the feeling that he's entitled to anything. A situation like [Westworld] is something he would never choose. He's brought in there by his fiancee's brother and boss' son — both of those people are Logan. It's sort of a vetting of William, to see if he fits into the family. That's why he has less of an agenda than almost any other guest, who's there to f—k or fight or do whatever. He's pulled into a situation he did not choose. He's not going about it the typical way. He's there, and he doesn't want to shoot things. Because he's there unwillingly, he's a little bit more observant. His journey is about having those expectations removed, and therefore, anything can happen.
We're slowly learning more about William's backstory. Every episode there's a new piece of information. We now know that he and Logan work together and are soon-to-be brothers-in-law, and that Logan views this as a work trip of sorts. How much did you know about William's backstory and the arc ahead, going into the series?
Very little. Almost only what I needed to know from moment-to-moment. A relatively rich backstory was given to us by Lisa and Jonah, as far as who these people are, how they feel about certain things, and kind of what their aim is in life in general. But as far as the arc of this part of the story, for each of these characters, nobody knew anything. All the actors were in the dark. If we were given a scene that you somehow needed more information to play for your process, Jonah and Lisa would be there and enlighten you on anything you needed to know. As far as knowing what's about to happen, we were all just as hungry for the scripts each month as you guys are for the episodes each week.
Until this episode, William's interactions have been mostly limited to Logan. What's your view of that character, someone who is considerably more hedonistic than William?
Most of us aren't Logan. Most of us don't get to choose everything we're doing in life, and William in particular. We all have these acquaintances and friends who are spiky as hell, but they're there, so you modulate your reactions to them and you accept it. It's like your wife's best friend's husband that you have to have dinner with every month, and he's a f—king dick. (Laughs.) It's that. "This is someone who is in my life, and I'm going to get through it as much as I can." Most of that is gritting your teeth and putting up with it, and sometimes, they strike a cord and resonate with you and make you laugh, and their different point of view actually is kind of enlightening. It's that kind of thing. He's not there by choice necessarily, but he's there.
In this episode, William and Logan are on a mission to capture a bandit named Slim. They succeed, and everything's going well, until Logan shoots the sheriff they're with so Slim can lead them on a more dangerous journey. This happens just as William is finally starting to find his footing here in Westworld. He can't be pleased with this sharp turn for the black hat.
No, not at all. He's been trying to figure out how to make this adventure be okay for this new being [Dolores] he's run into, too. So it's complicated that much more. So no, he's really not at all thrilled. But that's the joy of Westworld. He doesn't get to make all of his choices. He's choosing to get to know this new being, as opposed to have his way with her, but Logan's the one who chooses which environment they're going to be in together.
Speaking of the new being, it seems that William and Dolores established a connection right away, back at the end of episode two when William picks up Dolores' fallen can of food. What do you think William sees in Dolores?
First of all, Westworld is designed to give you everything, in a very aggressive way. Like when Clementine comes at William, or how the violence is offered up to your face. This is the first kind of soft and passive element of Westworld, and it draws his attention. He offers something to this host, as opposed to it being offered to him. I think it strikes him as, like, "This is an anomaly, and maybe a slight familiarity." But it's not like he noticed much more than that. As she drops in his lap, it's this need. She needs him. It's not just this offer. I think it's something he can relate to: helping, as opposed to destroying. In episode four, I think it's so interesting the way Jonah and Lisa wrote the development of this relationship, by basically showing how truthful Dolores' reality is to her. At the same time, Logan's articulating to William: "Yo, this is a trick. It's just to get you invested, and it's working, you sucker!" And he doesn't want to be a sucker to Logan. He knows it's a fact. And he's thinking about this as she's describing her life to him in the most beautiful tapestry. He's more and more interested. He knows what the truth is, but he keeps giving himself more rope, because it's just that real. I think the experience after four will be… well, where does it go? We know that there's an end to the rope. Everybody knows that. So what's going to f—king happen? It's this thoughtful allowance of an artificial being to enter your heart.
And that's on full display in this scene between William and Dolores when she says, "Sometimes I feel like something is calling me, and there's a place for me beyond all of this." William buys into that moment: "I know exactly what you're talking about." It's a great example of how the reality of Westworld can make even the greatest cynic open themselves up to the experience.
It's so true. It bends even the most rigid of minds. You get to see it happen in that very scene.
By now, you must have heard about the theories that William is a younger version of the Man in Black.
Oh, yeah. 
What's your take on the theory?
First of all, I'm just flattered, because that man is so bad ass. (Laughs.) Second of all, I can't comment on anything. I wish I could say how wrong or right you are, but you guys have to wait just like we did.
You wouldn't want to shut down the theorizing, anyway.
Exactly. Bring it on, because we literally all did this every time we got a script: "Oh my god! This is happening! She's this, and she's not this!" Then we were generally wrong, but sometimes, we were a shade right, and you would feel like a genius for somehow figuring out Jonah and Lisa's brilliant puzzle.
Is there an inevitability at all to some kind of collision between William and the Man in Black, if they're serving as the show's version of the Benjamin and Brynner characters from the movie?
I wouldn't say there's an inevitability, just because… I love all of the Benjamin references and the references to the film, but the way I describe William and Logan to someone who has seen the movie, is that it's as if they took Benjamin and Brolin and put them as the fifth storyline. The first storyline is the POV of the hosts. Jonah and Lisa completely flipped it around. I wish the series was all about my character ending up somewhere, but it's about the hosts. I don't want anyone's expectations [to get up for] the wrong journey. It's the hosts' journey. Don't expect it to end in any way like the movie.
The Man in Black aside, what would it take for someone like William to go full black hat? Because that's where we're left off at the end of the episode: Logan asks William to "go black hat with me," which feels like the complete opposite of what we know about William right now. If William ever were to go fully in that direction, what would have to happen to that man for him to go there? 
William's there to open up his world. He's certainly not there to turn into an asshole. And the end of four, it's not like Logan is saying, "We're going to go f—k shit up." It's, "We're going in this direction." William is going to be part of the experience, but he's also going there to protect Dolores. It's not that William has agreed to go and be a dick. He's agreed to go on this new direction of a place, and meet Slim's boss. It's more of an acquiescence: "Ugh, fine," than him saying, "Alright, I'm going to go black hat."
Final question… how would the McPoyles handle Westworld?
They would never pick up on the fact that everyone else was a robot. They would think they went to heaven, and would probably start making sausages out of the robot horses, and would have no idea that it tasted so shitty. They would start a whole empire: the McPoyle Sausage Empire of Sweetwater.
It would be hard to know if they were hosts or guests, too, because there would be flies crawling all over them…
And they really wouldn't swat them away. (Laughs.) They would be their friends.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2016 12:55 am

WESTWORLD
Air Date: Sunday, October 30, 2016
Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on HBO
Episode Title: (#05/105) "Contrapasso"

Episode #5: "Contrapasso"

Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood), William (Jimmi Simpson) and Logan (Ben Barnes) reach Pariah, a town built on decadence and transgression - and are recruited for a dangerous mission. The Man in Black (Ed Harris) meets an unlikely ally in his search to unlock the maze.

Teleplay by Lisa Joy; story by Dominic Mitchell & Lisa Joy; directed by Jonny Campbell.

Read more: Westworld on HBO | TheFutonCritic

Promo pics for ep 1x05:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZjZesgxDU
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2016 3:55 am

Hmnn, yes.  I also thought some of the things in this article.
It's interesting about how easy it is for Ford when he has total control over these computers inside the android hosts.  A personal example is my dog.  I've noticed he is becoming hard of hearing but I know he is not a stupid dog (apart from the draw of food which is very distracting for him).
Like Ford, I quickly found that if he is in my eyesight, I can form my fingers like a wisk and rotate my hand, then point in the direction I want him to go.  He does exactly that.
Ford has something somewhere on his person, that he can mentally speak to which goes straight out 'troposcatter' in all directions to all Androids in the vicinity.  I also believe he has refined his commands to single sounds or words to specific androids that mean specific things.  EG. He immediately instructed all the field workers to walk away in the same direction.
Does he have a brain scanner that can decode his thought processes?

(Like I said before, I think Maeve(Thandie Newton) and Dolores(Evan Rachel Wood) should share the limelight at this stage of the series.)

Did anybody think what I thought?:  The broadcasting network is HBO (who aired True Blood & GoT).  They're not averse to some ott stuff.  Yet, they were still squeamish about the cowboy in black shooting the Mexican android Man's young daughter.  Killing her mother/madre was pretty awful.
(It reminds me about the words of an English Comedian, Brian Conley with a cute hand puppet.  He bashed it about and said to the audience who were ooing & groaning, "It's only a puppet".  Then they saw the folley of their silly childish reactions to this inanimate object - they laughed.)

Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 11:21 am

well kevin they will go with too much gore or violence in one area, but shy away from
certain things.

Saw the new one # 5 and it was good, but not much story development
no answers really.
SE was right about the guy with william, that was revealed.

I am thinking this is one better binge watched than one at a time.
Back to top Go down
https://tvtalk-your-show.forumotion.com
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2016 1:14 pm

T5000 wrote:

SE was right about the guy with william, that was revealed.

What that William's companion is there to be a jerk? He seems to just be there to get William going in a certain direction story wise. The lesson there should be - never go to a place like Westworld with a coworker.

But what was more interesting to me was the contentious interaction between MiB and Ford. There was a lot of insinuation going on regarding Arnold and what happened back then. It seems like the MiB, with this latest interaction, is more investigating and trying to solve some mystery around Arnold. The elephant in the room there was "murder" perhaps?

Ford seems to have an ability to think about an outcome, and the hosts follow his direction. Now, that will be "deus ex machina" if they don't explain it somehow.

MiB is a bit cocky regarding his understanding of the hosts. He's been certain the hosts can't harm him. Teddy showed that he could easily disarm MiB when someone like Ford is around. Laughing The hosts are not so easy to deal with when they're not being gimped.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2016 6:11 am

well it seems that maybe arnold was murdered by ford as they wanted different things,'

and arnold was trying to shut down the park idea.
So ford could have had a host kill arnold.

Arnold may have suspected this, and put the embedded code in some hosts.

I dont know about mib, he is many things, and hard to read.

and yeah ford seems to be able to talk to the hosts in a telepathic manner.

We may not get too many answers this season, I am thinking some big reveal in last
show , but thats it.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2016 11:29 am

WESTWORLD
Air Date: Sunday, November 06, 2016
Episode Title: (#06/106) "The Adversary"

Episode #6: "The Adversary"

Maeve (Thandie Newton) charms Lutz (Leonardo Nam); Elsie (Shannon Woodward) uncovers possible sabotage; the Man in Black (Ed Harris) and Teddy (James Marsden) run afoul of a garrison.

Written by Halley Gross & Jonathan Nolan; directed by Frederick E.O. Toye.

Promo pics for ep 1x06:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaZe30OoKA
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 7:50 am

Ah, so it could be that the MiB is related to Arnold in some way and wants to know the workings of The Maze and why Arnold died and how he can nail his main suspect, Ford.
Could it also be, as was mentioned in a previous episode, that shooting to bits the androids, could be very costly but Ford knows he can't stop him because it would antagonise him even more.
I assume, The Maze is a name like Babylon in TSCC?

I'm always awestruck by the location scenery.  There isn't any evidence of chalk in the cliffs, so I guess this was a massive freshwater river many countless years ago.  A massive waterway infact.

Back to the android hosts.  If the future technology that I've heard about is used in these hosts, then perhaps they possess a certain amount of altered dna stronger memory capability.  If so, then perhaps, for example, when Teddy first tried to get Delores to fire a gun out in the desert, she might never forget if she can but access that memory.  I also think that the programmers/hardware guys would be out of their depth in this regard.

In episode 3, Ford says he used a 'Turing test' during the development of his androids.  It's here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test

Bernard, in my opinion, is trying to act like a parent to Dolores.  He wants to 'bring her up' and then let her go it alone.  Something he could not do for his son who died.
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 11:49 am

Easter egg for Yul Brynner at 7:03

t5000 has some merit to his theory. Ford does seem to have some unmanaged (or as they put it, unregistered) hosts running around the park. Keeps hope alive for the MiB rogue host theory.

My take away was that either Arnold is still alive and skulking around somewhere in the park, or someone is making changes or sabotaging the hosts in Arnold's name. I'm leaning towards the latter.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 1:37 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:

Wow, seriously, Eagle, how on earth did you even catch this??? Question Question Question
Are you watching in slow motion now? Wink
Well done!
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 07, 2016 2:37 pm

tscc1000 wrote:
SurfingEagle wrote:

Wow, seriously, Eagle, how on earth did you even catch this??? Question Question Question
Well done!

I don't know... nerd powered Spock eyes, I guess. Laughing
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 6:58 pm

tscc1000 wrote:
SurfingEagle wrote:

Well done!
I caught it too, I had seen the movies month or 2 ago, and yul with the hands like that is something you notice.
Same hat style too.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 7:02 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:

t5000 has some merit to his theory. Ford does seem to have some unmanaged (or as they put it, unregistered) hosts running around the park. Keeps hope alive for the MiB rogue host theory.

My take away was that either Arnold is still alive and skulking around somewhere in the park, or someone is making changes or sabotaging the hosts in Arnold's name. I'm leaning towards the latter.

yeah I was right about unregistered hosts!
Some or what 5 were the arnold and kid and the others in the house, but there are more, I think 17 ? of them.

I think Arnold is still alive and or someone like his son etc are out to avenge his death.

nothing on delores this ep, and maleve is now operating at high levels, so no telling what comes from that.
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 5:28 pm

Also, Dolores was one of the 17 first gen hosts that popped up on the computer. I think 2nd one from the top. Extremely tiny little pictures. You could also read the name Dolores Abernathy (I think it was)
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 12:58 pm

WESTWORLD
Air Date: Sunday, November 13, 2016
Episode Title: (#07/107) "Trompe L'Oeil"

Episode #7: "Trompe L'Oeil"

Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) and William (Jimmi Simpson) journey into treacherous terrain; Maeve (Thandie Newton) delivers an ultimatum; Bernard (Jeffrey Wright) considers his next move.

Written by Halley Gross & Jonathan Nolan; directed by Frederick E.O. Toye.

Promo pics for ep 1x07:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAY5tWttTxg
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:
Also, Dolores was one of the 17 first gen hosts that popped up on the computer. I think 2nd one from the top. Extremely tiny little pictures. You could also read the name Dolores Abernathy (I think it was)

Bernard:
How many first-generation hosts are there?
Computer:
Bernard:
And how many of those were designed by Arnold?
Computer:
Bernard:
List the names alphabetically of all first-generation hosts still in rotation.

Where did you get the number 17 from?
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 2:25 pm

tscc1000 wrote:

Where did you get the number 17 from?

From t5000's post Laughing

Perhaps, I invalidly assumed he was talking about the same number as me. But if it's not 17, then what number is still in rotation? Not that the number is probably important.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 3:54 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:

From t5000's post Laughing

Perhaps, I invalidly assumed he was talking about the same number as me. But if it's not 17, then what number is still in rotation? Not that the number is probably important.
Regarding the screenshot there are at least 4, but they never showed the complete list.
The exact number is irrelevant probably, I agree. But for the possible damage that could be inflicted by some "Arnold's code", it may make a difference if they are only around 5 or much more like around 20.
Additionally Maeve, a fascinating character that grew a lot on me during the last two eps, just upgraded herself to super intelligence with the help of that two fools. I guess she will use that to provide some surprises for Bernard and Ford ...
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 pm

tscc1000 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBd3N73jgYg

So, this made it to Youtube. IMO, this theory is virtually impossible now for a number of reasons. As stories, they're keeping William and MiB separate at this point but they could be days or a week apart time wise. As for Lawrence, they've pretty much established that they can repair and reassign hosts in a day.

Problems with the theory...
- Teddy started with Dolores and MiB and then was moved out further with a larger story like Ford wanted.
- Teddy moves from the opening of MiB's story to somewhere in the middle of MiB's story.
- Teddy stops showing up in Dolores's story, and she starts hanging with William.
- Teddy is a common element that seems to transition between the two stories thus implying that the two stories are happening roughly within the same time frame.

A few key problems...
- Ford isn't age regressed when he talks to anyone currently like he was in other memory flashbacks of 30 years ago.
- if Dolores is mentally evolving and that's a current event, and William is helping her do that as he seems to be doing, then William is also operating in the current time.
- Bernard is a relatively new employee and his mentoring Dolores could not be happening 30 years ago in a William/Dolores arc. (rev: OK, technically this is possible given the reveal in ep 7 but still not likely)

So, if this theory is correct, then it means every time we see Dolores and William together it's 30 or so years ago, but every time we see her with Bernard in the programming center, it's real time. All that's way too convoluted to be correct.

Last edited by SurfingEagle on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2016 5:26 pm

This is only a small point but none-the-less relevant.  When the hosts are shot or killed (In human terms), it doesn't necessarily mean they are immediately disabled.  They have sophisticated anatomical human-related programming that tells them that the injuries they receive are life threatening.  We've also seen hosts suffering from their wounds.
It's pretty obvious they have a processor in their body that reacts appropriately to these situations.
In episode 6, aired earlier this week in the UK,
Maeve knows this and is aware that when she took the human guest upstairs to a room, she wanted him to kill her in a human-like manner.  She succeeded in being strangled, which I personally do not think would have had any effect unless there was an automatic cutout in her programming that says 'you are dead. switch off'.  I could tell she knew this, so her plan to return to the repair lab was easier than she might have envisaged.

Regarding your above conversations guys, this story must be set well in to the future.  I'll give it some more thought tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 3:33 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:

- Bernard is a relatively new employee and his mentoring Dolores could not be happening 30 years ago in a William/Dolores arc. (rev: OK, technically this is possible given the reveal in ep 7 but still not likely)
I like how you already edited the "employee" ... Wink
Ep 1x07 was awesome. Though there was already brought up the possibility that Bernard could be a host, it still was very well done, when Ford made his move with him. I was sure the second Bernard asked Theresa "What door?" ... And Ford clearly did warn her not to get into his way.
Well, Ford "just wants to tell his stories", why do they have to mess with him ... the company's greed will be their doom. Ford is ready to defend his world by any means and Theresa obviously wasn't the company's first failed try to get rid of him.
BTW, it was practically again confirmed that at least in Westworld's present the hosts are created by some kind of 3D rendering. Ford's secret little facility would need a few days for one host, whereas at the big base they are much faster at it.
Maybe Ford could render a "Theresa" host to cover up his murder?
I absolutely can't wait for the next ep now ... what an exciting and well done show! bounce
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 14, 2016 3:40 pm

KevinInEngland wrote:
This is only a small point but none-the-less relevant.  When the hosts are shot or killed (In human terms), it doesn't necessarily mean they are immediately disabled.  They have sophisticated anatomical human-related programming that tells them that the injuries they receive are life threatening.  We've also seen hosts suffering from their wounds.
It's pretty obvious they have a processor in their body that reacts appropriately to these situations.
In episode 6, aired earlier this week in the UK,
Maeve knows this and is aware that when she took the human guest upstairs to a room, she wanted him to kill her in a human-like manner.  She succeeded in being strangled, which I personally do not think would have had any effect unless there was an automatic cutout in her programming that says 'you are dead. switch off'.  I could tell she knew this, so her plan to return to the repair lab was easier than she might have envisaged.
I think you are right here. The hosts are programmed to kind of "play dead" under certain circumstances, which probably is also connected with an auto shut-down, just to make it look more real.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Westworld Season 1 General Discussion
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next