TV Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TV Talk

TV show discussion. Current and older shows. Also movies.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turn Season one

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ez

Ez

Turn  Season one - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 8:08 am

Trolls astound me, you don't have anything better to do with your time then attack others?
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 12:35 am

Ez wrote:
I don't understand people who post on shows they don't like, I see it with Arrow and Agents of Shield all the time, it's like why do you watch it if you don't like it?
there is that pl;us imdb has quite a few trolls, some who even admit being trolls ! lol
one of them did a post about why were they fighting british soldiers ??
Back to top Go down
https://tvtalk-your-show.forumotion.com
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 am

Was anybody else astonished at the out-of-shape, bum-like appearance of the real historical figure of ranger leader, major Robert Rogers of the famous, ROGERS RANGERS.

Major Rogers and ROBERTS RANGERS achieved their military accomplishments and fame during the French and Indian War, circa, 1755-1763, otherwise known in Europe as, The Seven Years War, considered by some military historians as a world war.

By the time of the Revolutionary War, former major Roberts was heavily in debt, in financial distress, heavily alcoholic, and in essence the equivalent of a homeless person. Reading Wikipedia about Rogers, he seemingly offered his military services alternately to the British, the Continental Congress, and personally to George Washington, on several different to the point no one knew for certain what side Rogers favored and in the end both sides thought Rogers favored them. Despite history showing Rogers continuing involvment with the British Crown after the Revolutionary War, Americans today consider Ranger Robert Rogers a hero. A American warship was named after Rogers. A statue was erected of Rogers in New Hampshire, and the U.S. Army still carries his Rogers Rangers fighting code in its ranger manual. This is all for a man who worked (or tried to) for both sides and ended up impoverished and dying in obscurity in England.

Therefore, the actor, Angus MacFadyen, does a decent job of portraying the over-the-hill, major Robert Rogers, although it's doubtful he was that active during the Revolutionary War as shown in the cable tv series.

Yes, I read that on Wikipedia. History says his military skills were highly recognized and the authorities were wise to see this use the man in the service of the Crown against the French and their native Indian allies. Robert Rogers and his rangers would have been far more effective had a succession of British generals listened and taken his advice.

As shown in TURN, major Robert Rogers is by the time of the American Revolution at his mid-forties. Given the prior dissolute life and alcoholism, he was no longer in fighting physical trim. This shocking appearance probably greatly hindered his ability to persuade the Americans and the British to fully take the man seriously. As depicted, Rogers was more of a cynical mercenary at age 45, although he looks older because of his alcoholism. He was probably overweight in real life, as depicted by actor Angus MacFadyen.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 2:33 pm

I don't understand people who post on shows they don't like, I see it with Arrow and Agents of Shield all the time, it's like why do you watch it if you don't like it?
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 1:18 pm

IMDB MESSAGE BOARD
this will take you to the board for turn.
many who dont like the show, yet they come there to post??
but some good posts too
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Hm, interesting, thanks for posting it.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 11:58 am

Culper Spy Ring........ should have been the title??
or
Culper Ring
Although so far in the show the ring is unnamed !
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am

A interesting post from IMDB

by
Dash-V
» 6 days ago (Tue Apr 15 2014 17:37:45)
IMDb member since April 2014
Post Edited:
Tue Apr 15 2014 17:44:54
It would be hard to give a percentage, but it's certainly based on many real people and real events. As a resident of Setauket, and being familiar with some of our local history and the Culper spy ring, I've actually been reading a bit more about this over the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, we all have to remember that it is still just historical fiction, and AMC will certainly be making some adjustments to try to give us something entertaining.

Here's some brief notes and observations on some of the characters:

ABRAHAM WOODHULL really was the head of the CULPER SPY RING here in Setauket, going by the name "Samuel Culper" (and later "Samuel Culper Sr"). He really was a farmer, inheriting the family farm after the death of his older brother (who died early at 32). However, Abraham was unmarried in the summer of 1778 when the Culper Ring was formed; he did not marry MARRY SMITH until 1781. I also have not seen any references to any relationship between him and Anna Strong, so this was all likely added for dramatic license.

As far as I understood, while WOODHULL'S FATHER was a local judge, as I understand he was tied to Patriot politics, which would mean the change in his politics was created to increase the drama and tension. I don't know a lot more than this, so it is possible there is more information about his father out there, and perhaps his views changed over time. However they way they are portraying him on TURN I suspect they've taken liberties with this character.

ANNA SMITH "NANCY" STRONG and her husband JUDGE SELAH STRONG lived on what was then known as Little Neck (now Strong's Neck) and their property was across a small bay (Little Bay) from the Woodhull farm. Selah Strong was imprisoned by the British, but it was for his Patriot politics and connections. Both Anna and Selah were both older than Woodhull, and at the time of this story already had 9 children. Anna Strong stayed in Setauket to look over her family estate, as well as to apparently assist the Culper Ring. It's unconfirmed if she really hung a black petticoat and handkerchiefs on her clothes line to signal the meeting places for Woodhull and Brewster, but this has always been the folklore.

BENJAMIN TALLMADGE and CALEB BREWSTER were also really born here in Setauket. Tallmadge attended Yale and joined the Continental Army when the war broke out. He was a Major in the 2nd Continental Light Dragoons and in 1778 appointed by Washington as his Intelligence Chief. Tallmadge created the Culper Ring. Brewster did command a fleet of whale boats out of Connecticut attacking British shipping and deliverying the messages between Tallmadge and Woodhull.

I do not know a lot about CAPTAIN JOHN SIMCOE, nor MAJOR ROBERT ROGERS, but a little research seems to suggest there has been a lot more poetic license taken by AMC for these characters. I do not know if they were even in Setauket.

I'm a little confused about the tavern that they portray as the Strong's family business. As far as I know, Selah was a judge, and their home was Anna's ancestral estate. While there was a local tavern at the time of the story -- ROE TAVERN -- it was operated by CAPTAIN AUSTIN ROE, who I certainly hope will eventually become a part of this story line. As far as I known, Roe Tavern was a home originally built by Selah's grandfather, sold by Selah's father to a member of the Woodhull family, and then sold to Austin Roe who turned it into a tavern. I'm hoping AMC will weave the real events here into their story line without distorting reality all that much.

The only other thing that seems to bother me a little bit is the geography. While it was filmed in Virginia, it does at time seems to portray the area well. However, it would have been nice to see the Village Green, the Presbyterian and Caroline Churches, the harbor, etc in a little more of an accurate depiction of how they really existed (and still exist) to this day. While not all of the original structures still exist, replacements were often built, and the locations and arrangement between them are known. On the other hand, as far as I understand AMC worked with the Three Villages Historical Society for their research and development for the set design and local history.

One surprising thing that I did enjoy were a few subtle references to real events that many unfamiliar with the real history would likely miss. For example, they portrayed Caleb's personal concern for the British using the Presbyterian as a garrison, which was very fitting as Caleb was the great grandson of Rev. Nathaniel Brewster, the first minister of the church.

There's a lot more that could be said about what the real Culper Spy Ring did, but that would probably spoil too much of AMC's future story line. Much of it might even sound like fiction, but the actual role they played in the American Revolution and several major events of the war is truly remarkable.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 am

Ratings: 8.4/10 from 1,629 users ...on IMDB
I think I have some names wrong lol........

Burn Gorman ... Major Hewlett (9 episodes, 2014)
Noah Downs -----Redcoat, Hessian (8 episodes, 2014)
J.E. Matzer ... Continental Militia / ... (7 episodes, 2014)
John McAdorey ... Continental Militia / ... (7 episodes, 2014)
Mike Stevens ... Red Coat / ... (7 episodes, 2014)
Michael Gaston Michael Gaston ... General Scott (5 episodes, 2014)
Robert Beitzel Robert Beitzel ... Selah Strong (5 episodes, 2014)
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2014 7:25 am

Yea, I thought it was a pretty good episode, I think Abe will be mad with Anna when he finds out Simcoe is still alive. This show is starting to get it's legs.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2014 11:38 am

Ez wrote:
This is not the govt the imagined, Jefferson believed that revolutions were good for countries because they kept the nation honest.

So true...
Well saw ep 3, it was good , this one showed the harshness of the patriot side.
The girl emma strong is a diehard patriot, she was happy Abraham was giving more info.
I think the info may lead to a victory over the hessians in the winter battle.

I think simco may yet get released, and be back harrassin emma again, but they said he was dead so that would then
cause a problem.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 2:53 pm

This is not the govt the imagined, Jefferson believed that revolutions were good for countries because they kept the nation honest.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

Ez wrote:
Which is surprising to me, one of our best moments as a country.

Yes it was I have the 6 part "Liberty" series which is about the revolution from start to finish, and it is amazing.

This part of history isnt really focused on in schools either, and I think it is because of the revolutionary aspects?

I wonder what those leaders back then would think of our govt today??
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2014 9:49 am

Which is surprising to me, one of our best moments as a country.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2014 11:30 pm

Ez wrote:
I agree about the title, but I do like the show
Yeah I think turn is supposed to be that they turn people into spies.
Not sure what I would have named it but Turn is vague.

I like the show as it is historical and I dont know anything about the spies of this period.
Plus no one has ever done a show about this period in history.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am

I agree about the title, but I do like the show
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:42 am

saw ep 2 and it was good, the guy playing rodgers is good , he is smart and mean.
some issues were resolved so it is better going forward.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 7:51 pm

I have to say though that the title is stupid, and could hurt the show.
It does not give a good idea of what the show is about!
Turn I guess is for turn coat, or you turn someone to spy for you.
I would have come up with better title.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Turn  Season one - Page 2 TURN_cover
Follows New York farmer, Abe Woodhull, who bands together with a group of childhood friends to form The Culper Ring, an unlikely group of spies who turn the tide in America's fight for independence. Written by AMC
Jamie Bell as Abraham Woodhull
Seth Numrich as Ben Talmadge
Heather Lind as Anna Strong
Daniel Henshall as Caleb Brewster
Kevin McNally as Judge Richard Woodhull
Burn Gorman as Maj. Hewlett
Samuel Roukin as Capt. John Simcoe
JJ Feild as Maj. John Andre
Meegan Warner as Mary Woodhull
Angus Macfadyen as Robert Rogers

Turn  Season one - Page 2 Turn_cast

Episode 01 pilot
Ok I saw the first ep , and it was a well done show!
I like a good historical period show if it is well done.
This one is very good, I think CS did a better job with this show than Nikita, the difference is huge.
Nikita was for the CW  so that was part of it, and his first show, but this one is a serious drama with suspense.
Funny though as it is also a spy show, just more realistic.
The only thing is the guy who is recruited to be a spy for the americans, gets in so much trouble in the first ep, it is now hard to believe he can now be a spy and survive very long.
The british dont mess around, your either hung, shot, or sent to prison for slight things, and spying is definitely a death sentence.
But anyway I am going to watch this, should only be 10-13 eps .

Arron stanford would fit in this show , as he has long hair ! and alex would fit too, so I am hoping maybe they get on the show at some point.

Last edited by T5000 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turn Season one   Turn  Season one - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turn Season one
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2