TV Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TV Talk

TV show discussion. Current and older shows. Also movies.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Westworld Season 1 General Discussion

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 10:02 pm

tscc1000 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSOAeyTJAg

Most of what was in this promo of ep 3 wasn't in this ep?

I can't wait until Dolores learns to stop dropping that can. It's driving me nuts.

That lady guest had a good time.

Is Teddy going to end up as the big baddie gun fighter? They seem to make a point of showing how fast and accurate he is.

Am I the only one who thinks they need a new opening theme song? GoT's theme song blows it away.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 am

In other words, the situation may not be that new programming is causing this but Arnold's original design is reasserting itself. That would explain why the sheriff continued to malfunction when Ford rolled the build back. The update wasn't causing it, just failing to keep things normal. Just a theory though.

good theory makes sense.
Back to top Go down
https://tvtalk-your-show.forumotion.com
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 am

Am I the only one who thinks they need a new opening theme song?....... well I hadnt noticed,
since I watch it after recorded, I skip over all that, The opening with theme is too long though.
I went back and listened and it is not good , or bad, just meh.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 am

tscc1000 wrote:
Ep 1x03 was another good one.
Obviously parts of "Arnold's code" cause the glitches and might finally initiate some kind of consciousness. While Ford actually doesn't seem to want go down that road (he really sounds like a stone-cold guy without any empathy for the hosts, who simply wants to satisfy his customers), Bernard is willing to explore the new path of Dolores's evolution.
She has pulled the trigger now and killed another host, though "some hands are never meant to pull a trigger" ... and wait ... she couldn't be shot by another host??? Or was that even a visitor??? Shocked
Well heck I will miss all that easily !! lol!
I sort meant to put it in the front page where i had back oct 16, that is main thing i look at for dates,
so I try to keep good dates there.
some are bouncing around, like 100 was.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:43 am

tscc1000 wrote:
Ep 1x03 was another good one.
Obviously parts of "Arnold's code" cause the glitches and might finally initiate some kind of consciousness. While Ford actually doesn't seem to want go down that road (he really sounds like a stone-cold guy without any empathy for the hosts, who simply wants to satisfy his customers), Bernard is willing to explore the new path of Dolores's evolution.
She has pulled the trigger now and killed another host, though "some hands are never meant to pull a trigger" ... and wait ... she couldn't be shot by another host??? Or was that even a visitor??? Shocked
yes it was good, but I am starting to think this is a show better binge watched.
So many details, and mysterys, after a week i forget some of it.

stone-cold guy without any empathy for the hosts yes he was when talking to that one guy with glasses.
kinda surprising how cold and anti "jameron" he was. pirat
she couldn't be shot by another host??? I think that was a memory, as 2nd time she looked down she wasnt shot?

Now we also have the star constellation , and arnold and his code added in.

Thing is what is going to happen when they find a guest killed ??
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:50 am

I do have a complaint, if you hacked up teddy with ax and machete's (who are these people??)
he couldnt be repaired, it would not be cost effective.
That would be like rebuilding a car after a demolition derby !
It would make more sense to just roll out a new teddy.
In fact that would make more sense for many types of injurys and software problems.

The other thing is , it does not make sense to keep same characters like teddy and delores
malevia, etc, because any returning guests would not want to see the same faces, or the same
scripts ran.

SE doesnt like her dropping the can, but really that whole script should not be repeated exactly
and with same girl over and over.

no wonder mib is bored !! lol
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 12:57 pm

T5000 wrote:
In other words, the situation may not be that new programming is causing this but Arnold's original design is reasserting itself. That would explain why the sheriff continued to malfunction when Ford rolled the build back. The update wasn't causing it, just failing to keep things normal. Just a theory though.

good theory makes sense.

Also, it could be a trojan horse left behind by Arnold. It's a common technique among hackers to make a trojan that will spread around benignly and become active at some future date or by some other trigger. So, another theory is that Ford and the other technicians have been spreading around a trojan unaware, and this is responsible for activating something in the hosts that has been dormant for years.
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 1:54 pm

T5000 wrote:
I do have a complaint, if you hacked up teddy with ax and machete's (who are these people??)
he couldnt be repaired, it would not be cost effective.
That would be like rebuilding a car after a demolition derby !
It would make more sense to just roll out a new teddy.
In fact that would make more sense for many types of injurys and software problems.

The other thing is , it does not make sense to keep same characters like teddy and delores
malevia, etc, because any returning guests would not want to see the same faces, or the same
scripts ran.

SE doesnt like her dropping the can, but really that  whole script should not be repeated exactly
and with same girl over and over.

no wonder mib is bored !! lol

Yeah, about the damage and repair to hosts. This requires some "suspension of disbelief". In fact, there's a lot about the hosts that are not explained at this point. They seem much more organic than robitic, more like replicants from Blade Runner.

I was joking about the can but it will be funny when or if she realizes that she doesn't have to drop the can.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2016 3:06 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:

Yeah, about the damage and repair to hosts. This requires some "suspension of disbelief". In fact, there's a lot about the hosts that are not explained at this point. They seem much more organic than robitic, more like replicants from Blade Runner.
Hm, watching the intro and some background scenes in the episodes so far made me think that the production process of the hosts is some extremely high-end version of 3D-printing, maybe even directly using organic material. So when a host is damaged beyond repair they might just "re-print" another copy and upload the personality and story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkHuRROPfk

Would pretty much explain how they could tolerate the extreme violent actions of the well-paying visitors and still be back on every new day.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 12:23 am

good idea, but they have implied they are repaired not duplicated
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 2:47 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:
tscc1000 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSOAeyTJAg

Most of what was in this promo of ep 3 wasn't in this ep?
I had that impression already about the promo for 1x02.
They seem to handle the previews rather nonchalantly.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2016 2:54 pm

WESTWORLD
Air Date: Sunday, October 23, 2016
Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on HBO
Episode Title: (#04/104) "Dissonance Theory"

Episode #4: "Dissonance Theory"

Dolores (Evan Rachel Wood) joins William (Jimmi Simpson) and Logan (Ben Barnes) on a bounty hunt in the badlands. The Man in Black (Ed Harris), with Lawrence (Clifton Collins, Jr.) in tow, finds a critical clue in his search to unlock the maze. Dr. Ford (Anthony Hopkins) and Theresa (Sidse Babett Knudsen) discuss the future of the park. Maeve (Thandie Newton) is troubled by a recurring vision.

Written by Ed Brubaker & Jonathan Nolan; directed by Vincenzo Natali.

Read more: Westworld on HBO | TheFutonCritic

Promo pics for ep 1x04:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsQOiRjy0OM
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 7:23 am

Well saw this, and more questions, and not much on answers !
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 24, 2016 11:39 pm

T5000 wrote:
Well saw this, and more questions, and not much on answers !

Yeah, a bit of drip feed, and everyone's figuring out a little bit more about whatever mystery they're working on. There was a fair amount of filler in the form of repetitive and essentially useless memory flashbacks. But that's an HBO series mid season.

So, it seems MiB knew Arnold at some point. Perhaps, he was an early investor in the park which would explain some of his VIP status. He seems to believe there is something that can kill a guest at the center of this maze.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2016 2:23 am

yeah It looks like he is human after all.
He is also wealthy. they mentioned a grant he gives the park .
Delores is becoming aware, she knows something isnt right.
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 3:32 pm

I think we all know at this stage, the androids are powerless against the humans, no matter what they learn about their recurring fete.
Yet, that being said, in the last episode, when a roving android was tracked down by 2 staff, it seemed to be unstoppable using a radio or microwave link to shut it down. Fortunately it had a self-destruct safeguard in it.
So, somehow, if an android wants to be free of human control, it will have to try and create an area in memory that is undetectable by humans. That's how I see it.
(You may think I'm on their side, a misanthrope, but I think we'd all agree that ill-treating them is not a very good adopted attitude by humans. I see it as children who ill-treat animals.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2016 3:46 pm

T5000 wrote:
good idea, but they have implied they are repaired not duplicated
Yeah, of course they repair if possible.
But that's why I said "when beyond repair". At a certain point, when the damage is too much, it might be easier and cheaper to re-print the host's body.
Just like they might do in the current state-of-the-art production process, when a new host is created for the first time.
If not, the whole intro would be complete nonsense ...
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 6:44 am

Aside, I think Thandie Newton should appear in the above credits.

Throughout the first 4 episodes, not a lot has been said about how the androids move their limbs, bleed and all manner of things.  Perhaps this aspect is better not delved in to.  This story is set in the future - perhaps there is technology to come that we don't know about yet.  That would be good.

Right at the beginning, we see a host who is beautiful. (She can act too).  I believe this is her
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1506908/mediaindex?ref_=nm_phs_md_sm

Am I able to upload pictures to these posts?

Reviewing the 1st episode from the beginning, is quite advisable, as I can now see & hear things that I would normally overlook.
Dolores Abernathy is walking through WestWorld town, then she recalls Bernard Lowe say, "Remember".
She now remembers seeing all of the townsfolk gunned down in the street.  A wolf wanders around (probably an android too - or wolfoid).
Maeve Millay walks up and interupts her thoughts (memory rerun in computer terms, I would say).  She says, "Ahem, Can you stand somewhere else? I don't want anyone thinking your representative of the goods inside" (snigger).
To which, Dolores turns and whispers with a slight sneer, "These violent delights... have violent ends".
Maeve is disoriented by that remarks, it shows.  She huffs a gasp.

So, already some of the models, possibly interfered with by Bernard (program-wise), might be the ones who have had thoughts planted that mess with their 'safe' routines.

==

In the next scene, the man standing with a noose around his neck, flinchess every time the man in black shoots one of the linch mob.  Nothing is left out of their programming.

==

Here is another example from the beginning of episode 1 that might have been missed:
We remember but it seems to me that the people in the technical department are unaware that Maeve had a flashback to Indians attacking and scalping her.  They put her quietness down to being coy and needs to have her aggression bumped 10%.  So, she too is having flashbacks right from the beginning, undetected by the tech team.

==

Finally, and this reminded me of TSCC when Cameron said similar words to the school counsellor in 1_3 The Turk.
Bernard, a senior programmer (or whatever you wish to call him - Afr/Amer guy), brings Dolores back online in a glass cubicle. He is telling her things that will alter her thinking. He tells her not to tell anyone about this conversation. She asks if she has done anything wrong. He says, "No".
Then she says, "Have you done anything wrong?" You can see by the expression on his face that he is feeling guilty.
Does she see this? He tells her to turn off her event log and erase this interaction. Does the expression on her face give away any secrets? Does she defy that last command and file it away instead?
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 10:42 am

Am I able to upload pictures to these posts?
yes click on insert image, but you need to upload it somewhere or copy the link to where it is posted.
you can also host a image, not sure about that ask tscc.

you can use
https://s20.postimg.org
to host your pics

hmm link gets a bad gateway right now.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 am

kevin have you seen all 4 eps ??
and yes some things similar to tscc.
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2016 11:52 am

Yes. I've seen all 4.
I see Bernard as a bit of an unstable rogue without any regard for the consequences when he suggests new things to the androids.

By the way, remember the android with the massive snake tattoo? Amazingly this is her:
Ingrid Bolsø Berdal
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 8:28 am

KevinInEngland wrote:
Yes. I've seen all 4.
I see Bernard as a bit of an unstable rogue without any regard for the consequences when he suggests new things to the androids.

By the way, remember the android with the massive snake tattoo?  Amazingly this is her:
Ingrid Bolsø Berdal

she looks better there.
Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 12:40 pm

I tend to think they must have a black box, something akin to what aircraft use. I mean they're getting their heads blown off left and right. I would think that would destroy some data. Either that or their memories are continually uploaded to a data store, then restored (downloaded) after they're repaired. Maybe, they're a weird form of Cloud computing. Laughing
Back to top Go down
KevinInEngland

KevinInEngland

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 2:36 pm

SurfingEagle wrote:
I tend to think they must have a black box, something akin to what aircraft use. I mean they're getting their heads blown off left and right. I would think that would destroy some data. Either that or their memories are continually uploaded to a data store, then restored (downloaded) after they're repaired. Maybe, they're a weird form of Cloud computing. Laughing

Yes.  I think they must be using satellite technology to track them.
I have a feeling that the creators of the show have copied the original film with regard to destroying androids, taking them away and then bringing them back repaired.  I'm not sure why they do that in this series, unless the original writer/director Michael Crichton left a request in his legacy to keep it as near to the film as possible.
We've seen the video at the beginning of the androids being constructed, so, as you and others say, repair might not actually be possible.  Would a bullet through a synthetic muscle be difficult to replace?  Do the androids have an organ similar to a peritoneum (above our stomachs) that can be used to store blood and pump it around their bodies?

(by the way, I see the quote uses HTML, so I've added a bit of HTML to make this post orange.  Now to see if it works haha).

Back to top Go down
SurfingEagle

SurfingEagle

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 4:16 pm

KevinInEngland wrote:
SurfingEagle wrote:

Yes.  I think they must be using satellite technology to track them.
I have a feeling that the creators of the show have copied the original film with regard to destroying androids, taking them away and then bringing them back repaired.  I'm not sure why they do that in this series, unless the original writer/director Michael Crichton left a request in his legacy to keep it as near to the film as possible.
We've seen the video at the beginning of the androids being constructed, so, as you and others say, repair might not actually be possible.  Would a bullet through a synthetic muscle be difficult to replace?  Do the androids have an organ similar to a peritoneum (above our stomachs) that can be used to store blood and pump it around their bodies?

(by the way, I see the quote uses HTML, so I've added a bit of HTML to make this post orange.  Now to see if it works haha).

Crichton was the best science fiction writer of the last forty years or so, IMO. I've read some of his books. He was very intricate in describing the technology in his stories as well as creating a good argument for the plausibility of that technology. If memory serves, he even went as far as to put pages of just DNA sequences in Jurassic Park. Spielberg dumbed the movies way down and whitewashed the characters so they could market it as a PG-13 movie for kids and family viewing.

It seems like the show is trying to pay homage to Crichton at least in spirit by making it a lot more cerebral than most. I'm not sure the creators of this show will have the capacity to weave-in the same level of actual science that Crichton would, if he were still alive today and revising his work. But then, they really haven't had a chance to explain it fully yet.

I was thinking the same as tscc1000. It looks like some kind of 3D printing. But also the bleached colorless tissue reminded me strongly of something else I've seen - ghost heart. Here's the video that I saw.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Westworld Season 1 General Discussion   Westworld Season 1 General Discussion - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Westworld Season 1 General Discussion
Page 3 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next