TV Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TV Talk

TV show discussion. Current and older shows. Also movies.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tscc1000

tscc1000

The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Empty
PostSubject: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 1:22 am

THE AMERICANS
Air Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Time Slot: 10:00 PM-11:00 PM EST on FX
Episode Title: (#313) "March 8, 1983"

SEASON 3 FINALE

"March 8, 1983"

Elizabeth and Paige take a trip that lands them in treacherous territory. After an emotionally charged mission, Philip turns to an unlikely source for solace. Stan's plan to save Nina culminates in unforeseen ways.

Written by Joel Fields & Joe Weisberg; directed by Daniel Sackheim.

Source: FX | TheFutonCritic

Last edited by tscc1000 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 1:22 am

Promo pics for episode 3x13:

Last edited by tscc1000 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 1:23 am

Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 10:36 am

Well saw this and liz brings paige back !! and tells her she woud never send her away.
then after all that  paige tells her mom I cant do this, this isnt who I am, which is what many of us have said.
Liz did not see this as alarming.
Then paige calls pastor tim and spills the beans !! so S-4 we find out if ol tim is russian too?
If not they might find out and kill him , which would only alienate paige  totally.

Also I see phillip as no longer able to do this spy stuff, but how can he get out of it with the kids??
Will he turn dbl agent? how will he refuse the dirty kill jobs?

Stan did not get nina , but he kept his job and with more power and autonomy.

Martha is still alive, he killed that one guy so he would get the blame for the pen??

Good season, I expected more in this last ep, but it was still good. glad  to see phil slip to the light side.
Back to top Go down
https://tvtalk-your-show.forumotion.com
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Yea, pretty good season, I think it has to pay off eventually with Stan finding out about them, probably towards the end of the series. I could see Phillip eventually becoming a double agent, he warned the Russian Rezidentura last season about messing with his family. I have always thought he likes the American life more than Liz does. If they ever find out Pastor Tim knows, he's dead. I don't know if he is Russian or not. I think if he isn't he will spill to the Feds or something, Americans were terrified of the Soviets and communists back then. Looking forward to next season.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 2:45 pm

So EZ if you were phil , or liz and told your daughter that (would you?) and then the way in which she has reacted would you let it ride like they did??

Paige told liz she couldnt live the lies, and ran off to tim once already and was clearly not accepting it,
and really no kid like paige could.
only about 1 in 10,000 would.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 3:16 pm

I don't think I would tell my kid for that reason. If you were to put this story in the modern times, it would be like telling your kids you are part of AL Qaeda, it would be pretty hard to accept.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 9:21 pm

How much longer can Philip and Elizabeth Jennings hide the truth? The carefully crafted lies of the undercover Soviet spies played by Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell are slowly leaking out. In the final four episodes of the season, their daughter Paige (Holly Taylor), Philip’s “second wife” Martha (Alison Wright), and now, it appears, Paige’s confidante Pastor Tim (Kelly AuCoin) all learned the couple’s true identities. During the FX drama’s eventful finale, Philip almost even came clean to Sandra Beeman (Susan Misner), the soon-to-be ex-wife of his FBI agent neighbor, Stan (Noah Emmerich).

Meanwhile, Stan saw his own covert plan to reunite with exiled lover Nina (Annet Mahendru) go up in flames when he finally revealed the details to horrified boss Agent Gaad (Richard Thomas). But even as Stan lost a friend in Gaad, he gained a powerful supporter in the form of Deputy Attorney General Warren (Cotter Smith), who was impressed by the way Stan played romantic rival Oleg Burov (Costa Ronin).
With so much going on, and so much left hanging (seriously: where was Martha?), Variety spoke with co-showrunner Joel Fields just hours before the finale aired to ask a few of the most pressing questions.

I have to start with the obvious: Where the hell is Martha?
Wow. Standby! You know, it’s so funny, everybody is asking this and now I feel bad. There’s no great mystery here. We originally intended to have Philip reveal himself (to Martha) over the course of the finale but there was just so much story there that it really felt like it would be better explored and played at the end of episode 12 where it can really get its due, dramatically. Then we could continue the Martha story by having Philip’s act of matrimonial love be the murder of Gene, and setting him up for the crime Martha had been committing. The real question in our minds is: “How’s she gonna take all that?”

Interesting. Even the scenes at the FBI office were so discreetly filmed. Are we supposed to assume Martha is at work?
She’s there. She’s not at her desk …

OK …
I don’t mean to be coy. If anything serious is going to happen to Martha, I don’t think it’s gonna be off camera and Philip won’t be lying to Elizabeth about it, I don’t think.

That’s what I assumed based on how the show works, but maybe I’m starting to feel more like Paige: I don’t know how much I can trust Philip and Elizabeth, even when they’re alone together.
I think that’s all good. In a way that’s the fundamental question of the show. But if you were confused by the story point, that was bad. You can blame me and Joe, not Philip and Elizabeth. But the question of trusting them and them trusting each other? That’s the fundamental stuff the show’s exploring.

It makes sense if you had originally intended to include Philip taking off his Clark disguise in front of Martha in the finale, but that was such a powerful way to end episode 12. And then we don’t see Martha in the finale at all.
I felt very confident we had made the right dramatic choice there, up until today when everybody is asking, “What the hell happened to Martha?” Now, I have to admit, I’m not so sure. Maybe you should put it to a poll.

Let’s talk about something else we didn’t see: What’s gonna happen to Pastor Tim after that phone call with Paige? Is he a dead man? Secretly a Russian spy?
I’d say tune in. When we pitched this final thing, [FX CEO] John Landgraf happened to be on the line and his first question was, “Well, what happens?” We said, first of all we’re really glad you’re asking — cause that’s a good sign — and second of all, we told him what I can’t tell you, which is what’s in our heads about what happens. We said the reason we’re interested in that moment at the end of the episode with Paige isn’t for shock value but because it really propels some interesting character explorations for season four and beyond.

How did you decide this was the right season for Paige to find out the truth about her parents?
It’s an interesting one because we’ve known that Paige was gonna find out the truth. I think for a long time we assumed that would come out of the conflict between Philip and Elizabeth and they would decide to tell her, or one of them would decide to tell her. We played with a lot of options, and a lot of different places when it could happen. But the big surprise was not only when it happened, but how it happened. And that the x-factor was their own child being her own person and confronting them.

It then built to such a powerful climax in the finale. Was the Ronald Reagan speech always something you had in mind to use to end the season?
Oh boy, I say this acknowledging that we often change stuff along the way, but when we formulated the beginning, middle and end of season three, we knew we wanted to end with the Evil Empire speech. And again, open always to that shifting, but that’s something that held for us and I think worked really well.

It did. And was the plan for it always to be somehow connected to Paige as well?
Yes, but the specifics of that moment and phone call did break and come together later as the story unfolded with Paige.

Let’s talk about Stan, who dealt with quite a few twists and turns in the finale. He’s lost Gaad’s trust and respect, but how much will that matter if he earned even more powerful allies?
It’s one of the interesting questions for us to explore. It shouldn’t matter in terms of his work, but it might matter in terms of human experience and actually it might matter more than he thinks in terms of work. What does it mean to be outside of the organization? What does it mean when you have betrayed the trust of everybody who had faith in you and the system rewards you by doubling down on you and pushing them off to the side?

And related to Stan, in a way, I loved the development of Philip and Sandra getting closer through the EST meetings. What was the idea behind opening up that relationship?
First of all there’s just the big picture, Philip has been struggling with the human costs of his job since the beginning of the series and over the course of season two and this season. The first image we saw of Philip this season was in EST, with Stan. As someone who is struggling with deep pain inside, he’s finally looking for a way to deal with it. Here he runs into a woman whom he knows well, who has been down this path in her own way, and for whom the most important currency in life right now is honesty. In her view, and the view of this program, the way out of pain is through honesty. While that might be true, for Philip Jennings that’s the most dangerous thing in the world.

As Philip tells Sandra, the only person who truly knows him is Elizabeth. But given what happened this season, is it possible he could be that open with Martha too?
Yeah, look what’s happened in this fake marriage that started with him committing act of manipulation after act of manipulation. If one is human and not a sociopath — and Philip and Elizabeth are not sociopaths — one can not help developing feelings for people that one is with every day and spending time with, let alone making love to and being close with. Over the course of the season we saw (Philip) faced with a couple of opportunities where he could’ve shut down the operation, he could’ve quietly disappeared, he could’ve killed (Martha). But here in the end, faced with the greatest crisis of her loss of faith in their marriage and in herself, his human instinct and his spy instinct is to double down by further exposing himself to her. At the end of the day in any relationship you have two choices: to be more intimate, and expose yourself to greater risk of pain, or wall yourself off and run away and be lonelier.

Last season ended with Nina getting shipped off to Russia, and she’s still there now. A more conventional arc might have seen her return to the US at some point during season three. Was this always the plan?
No comment. Redacted. Redacted. Redacted.

Well, what can you say about where you’ve left off with Nina?
It’s interesting. The Nina story, although it’s contained some surprises for us along the way, has really in large part hued to the original story we’d broken. Annet Mahendru is such a wonder in that part and there is more to tell …

OK …
I will tell you one thing that became a surprise to us. And when I say became a surprise, it really was a surprise as of the middle of last season, which was with Nina going to the Soviet Union we loved the idea of intersecting her with the Anton Baklanov story. Part of that was how the story unfolded and part of it was just what a marvelous actor Michael Aronov is and the depth that he presented in those episodes in season two. It just seemed like those characters were destined to come together.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 10:26 am

That was a good read EZ.
I never thought abut phillip caring more for martha than liz, and maybe wanting to keep her alive, and caring for her.

What’s gonna happen to Pastor Tim after that phone call with Paige? Is he a dead man? Secretly a Russian spy?
I’d say tune in. When we pitched this final thing, [FX CEO] John Landgraf happened to be on the line and his first question was, “Well, what happens?” We said, first of all we’re really glad you’re asking — cause that’s a good sign — and second of all, we told him what I can’t tell you, which is what’s in our heads about what happens........ sounds lke the ceo likes the show too and may keep it on to
see what happens .
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Yea, I had never considered he may care more for Martha. Very cool about the CEO, I will say this for FX, they usually give shows a chance if they believe in them, more than broadcast tv anyway
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:48 pm

I liked the finale a lot, but the cliffhanger is quite annoying. And I didn't like that there wasn't a continuation of last week's cliffhanger, when Philip took off his wig in front of Martha. Damn, there even wasn't one scene with Martha. And first I had trouble to figure out, who that poor guy was, who was murdered and whose suicide was faked by Philip. But after some thinking I remembered that guy from the FBI, when he spoke to Martha in a short scene in one of the last eps. So Philip did this to take off suspicion from Martha. Only then it became clear that Martha must still be alive.
Before ep 3x13 I would have said, pastor Tim is a dead mean except he's also a Russian asset (which might be possible, but imho improbable). Not sure anymore after 3x13. Maybe Philip has actually problems with that endless and cold-blooded killing going on. Maybe he's not ready to just kill Tim, but Elizabeth is, maybe the Centre will intervene and wants Paige and Tim dead, before they go to the FBI, and Philip and Elizabeth actually have to fight for their family against the Centre?
Season 4 should get interesting, good that it has been renewed.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm

A word to that nice interview above with the showrunner.
I absolutely appreciate The Americans for always referring to the historical context. That "Evil Empire" speech of Reagan is legend and fitted into that scene so perfectly ... just great work!
And that exactly is the point, why The Americans is superior to Allegiance, which is a fast-paced and suspenseful spy show, but completely lacks that realism and historical context.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:19 pm

tscc1000 wrote:
I absolutely appreciate The Americans for always referring to the historical context. That "Evil Empire" speech of Reagan is legend and fitted into that scene so perfectly ... just great work!
And that exactly is the point, why The Americans is superior to Allegiance, which is a fast-paced and suspenseful spy show, but completely lacks that realism and historical context.

And that is why The Americans will be back for a S4, and Allegiance didn't make it through 1.
Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Ez wrote:
tscc1000 wrote:

And that is why The Americans will be back for a S4, and Allegiance didn't make it through 1.
At least they are releasing the remaining eps of Allegiance (currently ep 12 out of 13). I would be nice, if they knew in time of not getting the back nine and were able to conclude the story within the ordered 13 eps. So it just would turn out to be some kind of mini-series, which would be absolutely acceptable.
It would only be annoying, if they had to stop with some heavy cliffhanger. But we'll know soon ...
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 4:54 pm

I wouldn't know, haven't seen an episode
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:13 pm

tscc1000 wrote:
Ez wrote:
tscc1000 wrote:

At least they are releasing the remaining eps of Allegiance (currently ep 12 out of 13). I would be nice, if they knew in time of not getting the back nine and were able to conclude the story within the ordered 13 eps. So it just would turn out to be some kind of mini-series, which would be absolutely acceptable.
It would only be annoying, if they had to stop with some heavy cliffhanger. But we'll know soon ...

So there are 13 , I have thru 10, I stopped on 8.
It was ok show, but the whole atmosphere of Americans is different, and the cast is much better.
Allegiance did not do bad in ratings due to being a bad show, hardly any neilsen people watched the first ep, so when you start out with a 1.1 to .09 and 3 mil you know it isnt gonna make it.

Americans was down to a .01 maybe and I know a .02 demo and under 1 mil, which tells me nielsen people are not into
russian spy shows, unless maybe they were a comedy like chuck.
I did read that a recent ep of Americans was a .08, not sure though , seems like a big jump back up.

Any chance tscc you or Ez could get the S-3 ratings?? cheers
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:17 pm

American fans thought All. was a ripoff of Americans, and why it did bad, but if not many nielsen people are watching Americans, then those fans not watching All. would not matter much.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:35 pm

tscc1000 wrote:
I liked the finale a lot, but the cliffhanger is quite annoying. And I didn't like that there wasn't a continuation of last week's cliffhanger, when Philip took off his wig in front of Martha. Damn, there even wasn't one scene with Martha. And first I had trouble to figure out, who that poor guy was, who was murdered and whose suicide was faked by Philip. But after some thinking I remembered that guy from the FBI, when he spoke to Martha in a short scene in one of the last eps. So Philip did this to take off suspicion from Martha. Only then it became clear that Martha must still be alive.
Before ep 3x13 I would have said, pastor Tim is a dead mean except he's also a Russian asset (which might be possible, but imho improbable). Not sure anymore after 3x13. Maybe Philip has actually problems with that endless and cold-blooded killing going on. Maybe he's not ready to just kill Tim, but Elizabeth is, maybe the Centre will intervene and wants Paige and Tim dead, before they go to the FBI, and Philip and Elizabeth actually have to fight for their family against the Centre?
Season 4 should get interesting, good that it has been renewed.

continuation of last week's cliffhanger,..... many complained about that , even the guy doing interview.
It confused me too. It should have been shown like phil telling liz his plan, but really should have started the show with that scene with martha.
Now with her not in the show at all, maybe they only contracted her for x # of eps and were out ! ??
That guy was set up to have planted the pen. which takes all pressure off of martha.

pastor Tim, they want every one to wonder is he kgb or not, and either way what is his response to paige saying that?

Maybe Philip has actually problems with that endless and cold-blooded killing going on.

Well this was brught up n imdb, and he is developing a conscience lol , and I think he now thinks about what paige would think if she knew I was doing this right now ?? He does not want his D to be disgusted with him.
Also the est meetings have had a effect on him, and hanging with stan.

I think he is burnt out on being a killer and a spy especially when he is killing someone who is not a bad person.
I think he used to do all this without thinking about it , but really since ep 1 he has started to question what he is doing, and only the fact that liz fnally started to love him did he get into it again, I think to please her.

Beemans wife asked him did anyone really know him, and he said liz, and she said does she know your here now?
and he indicated no, so now he will question is he really as close to liz as he thought.

Also when the Reagen speech came on liz blew him off to watch that, she went into mission mode, and he didnt care at all
so I think he realized then that they are not the same, he has changed.

I think tim will be kgb, and I think phil will turn dbl agent at some point and work with stan to save himself and the kids.

Back to top Go down
tscc1000

tscc1000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:36 pm

T5000 wrote:

Any chance tscc you or Ez could get the S-3 ratings?? cheers

The Americans: Season Three Ratings
Published: April 24, 2015
The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Americans09-590x218

Final season averages: 0.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 1.08 million total viewers.

Air dateEpisode18-49 demo% demo changeViewers (mil)% mil change
.Weds1/28/201503-010.63-7.35%†1.895-0.11%†
.Weds2/4/201503-020.35-44.44%0.918-51.56%
.Weds2/11/201503-030.29-17.14%1.01810.89%
.Weds2/18/201503-040.24-17.24%0.972-4.52%
.Weds2/25/201503-050.19-20.83%0.811-16.56%
.Weds3/4/201503-060.2426.32%0.93114.80%
.Weds3/11/201503-070.3545.83%1.22431.47%
.Weds3/18/201503-080.31-11.43%1.125-8.09%
.Weds3/25/201503-090.27-12.90%0.988-12.18%
.Weds4/1/201503-100.25-7.41%0.895-9.41%
.Weds4/8/201503-110.3540.00%1.03515.64%
.Weds4/15/201503-120.27-22.86%0.975-5.80%
.Weds4/22/201503-130.3425.93%1.22025.13%
.Season averages0.31-30.26%1.08-19.59%
.Ratings ©️ 2015 The Nielsen Company. All Rights Reserved. † = Compared to previous season premiere.
.Season averages compared to previous season's averages.
For comparisons: The second season of The Americans averaged a 0.5 rating in the demo with 1.34 million viewers.
Back to top Go down
Ez

Ez

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 4:18 pm

T5000 wrote:
American fans thought All. was a ripoff of Americans, and why it did bad, but if not many nielsen people are watching Americans, then  those fans not watching All. would not matter much.

That's exactly why I didn't watch it, it felt like a blatant ripoff.
Back to top Go down
T5000
Admin
T5000

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 2:44 pm

OK Thanks Tscc, that ep 5 ep was one i read about. they came back up after that.
Looks like Nielsen people tried the 1st ep and bailed, did not like it.
lol I dont remember it.
I think 1st show should be designed to hook new viewers as well as regular viewers, and I think too often they just do a show they like.

Fortunately the ceo likes the show too , and maybe it is doing good on netflix or something.
A.09 to 2.0 demo is where a show should be and around 2-3 mil to be good ratings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)   The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Americans Episode 3x13 "March 8, 1983" (Season 3 Finale)
Page 1 of 1